Medical Recordkeeping

Every time you visit the Student Health Center, your health care provider enters information about the care you receive in your medical record. For example, your medical record may include your lab or X-ray reports, information about your prescription medications, or a physician’s notes about your illness or injury.

Trained professional staff in the Medical Records department make certain that your medical records are up-to-date, complete, and available to you. Because the federal laws HIPAA and FERPA require us to keep your health information confidential, the Student Health Center stores your medical record in a technologically state-of-the-art Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system. The EMR system both secures the privacy and confidentiality of your protected health information (PHI) and ensures your easy access to it.

Medical Records Retention Policy
The Student Health Center retains all records for ten years. More detailed information on records retention and disposition is available:

To request additional information or report problems, both students and non-students may contact the NC State’s Privacy Officer at 919-515-6122. Students may send written complaints regarding privacy rights violations to:
University Privacy Officer
Campus Box 7521
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695

Students may follow the Student Grievance Procedure for undergraduates or for graduate students for matters relating to medical records. If the matter is not resolved, you may also file a complaint with the Secretary of Health and Human Services or the Family Compliance Office, US Dept. of Education.

Obtaining Your Medical Records

In order to…
…authorize your parents or guardians access to your medical records or
…have your medical records sent to a third party or
…receive a copy of your medical records,
please download and complete the Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form. Fax your completed form to 1-888-972-4151. Or, bring your completed authorization form to the Medical Records department in the Student Health Center or mail it to
NCSU Student Health Services, Medical Records Department
2815 Cates Avenue
Campus Box 7304
Raleigh, NC 27695-7304.
When you have authorized the release of your records in writing, we can mail or fax them to your health care provider.

We will save your medical records to a flash drive bearing the NCSU logo for free while supplies last.  Once supplies are gone, there will be a $5.00 charge for the flash drive. Please call the Medical Records department at 919-513-2544 for details.

Check the Status of Your Medical Records Request
Please allow at least two weeks before calling to check the status of your request for medical records. If you need to meet a deadline, call (919) 513-2544.  We will do our best to accommodate you. We are allowed 30 days to fulfill requests, but we often complete requests in a matter of days. If you need further assistance, please call (919) 513-3278.

Transferring Copies of Your Record to Healthcare Providers
You must authorize each recipient to receive either Medical or Immunization records in writing. If you require multiple copies of your records, we encourage you to obtain a flash drive. Then you can print as many copies of your records as you need.

We can either mail or fax copies of your records to health care providers, but giving us the recipient name and fax number will expedite the process. We will retain a copy of the fax confirmation as verification of the receipt of your records.

Medical Records in Remote Storage
If you attended NC State more than two years prior to the date of your request, we store your records offsite and therefore need additional time to retrieve them. We also may not have received valid authorization from you. Please complete the Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form and submit it to the Medical Records department in order to authorize the release of your protected health information.

Costs Associated with Medical Records
Copies of your immunization records are free. Sending your medical records to your physician or provider is also free. However, if we release up to forty pages of your medical records to you, there is a $10.00 minimum fee. Make payment in advance of mailing, or pick up at the Cashier’s Office in the Student Health Center.

If you want us to release more than forty pages of medical records to you, we will charge you $0.25 per page above forty pages. If we mail records to you, we will include the cost of delivery confirmation and tracking in the price we quote. Expect additional charges for rush service, especially if your records are stored off-site. Medical Records staff will answer your questions about costs and delivery methods. Please call 919-515-2563.

Amendments to Your Medical Record
You may request that certain information in your medical record be amended. For details, contact Medical Records by phone at 919-515-2563 or by fax at 1-888-972-4151.

For further assistance you may email