Student Health Services will open at 8am today to see patients who are experiencing illness and/or injuries. At 11am the university will resume normal operations and Student Health will be open for all visit types.
The Spring 2015 waive/enroll period has now closed. NC State University will accept waiver appeals, to be reviewed by the NC State Appeal Committee, through 5pm February 27, 2015. To submit an appeal complete the insurance appeal form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. ALL Appeal Committee decisions are FINAL. Insurances premiums are non-refundable without an approved waiver or appeal.
The stomach bug or stomach flu, is on campus. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain/cramping, fever and/or headache. If you are experiencing these symptoms call 919-515-2563. The virus is spread by touching contaminated surfaces or objects and then touching your mouth, eating contaminated foods or drinks, and direct contact with stool or vomit while caring for a sick person.
If you become sick, take care of yourself with:
- Medications. This may include fever reducing, anti-nausea, and/or anti-diarrhea medicines.
- Oral Rehydration. Sip only clear non caffeinated liquids, such as ginger ale, water, ice chips, sport drinks, broth soups.
- Diet. Once liquids are tolerated eat a bland diet. This would include crackers, noodles, rice, and toast, and limit dairy. Advance your diet as tolerated.
- IV Fluids, as needed.
Prevention is key to staying well. Washing hands is the most important thing to do to prevent getting or spreading the infection. Also, decontaminate surfaces and objects, such a computer keyboards, door handles, and steering wheels.
For more information visit the CDC page.
Flu Season is in full swing! Protect yourself and the rest of the Pack by getting your flu shot. Student Health has 2 flu shot clinics this month.
January 13th at Wolf Ridge Apartments in the Multipurpose Room from 3pm to 8pm.
January 21st at Talley Student Center in the Multipurpose Room from 11am – 7pm.
Interested in Wood Wellness Village for the 2015-2016 Academic Year?
• Live in a community that supports a healthy, balanced life
• Develop friendships in a positive environment
• Participate in high impact programming, such as whitewater rafting, trips to the trampoline park, access to dietitians, personal trainers, and more!
• Reserved space in HES 295 and Wood Hall
Apply by January 20th by contacting Amanda Kammer, Community Director email@example.com for more information.
For more information, check out these sites:
The Spring 2015 waive/enroll period has now closed. However, you can submit an appeal to waive the insurance by visiting www.bcbsnc.com/
NC State is monitoring the latest information from infectious disease experts and public health officials regarding the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
Have you recently traveled to an affected area in West Africa? Click here for more information.
If you have symptoms please call 919-515-2563 and speak with an appointments staff member at the Student Health Center.
All UNC universities are in communication regarding emergency planning. Visit the UNC system site for informative links and the latest information.
You get ONE SHOT to FIGHT the FLU this season! The flu vaccine is your best defense against flu so we encourage all students to get the vaccine and practice prevention steps to stay well and in class this year. After you get your shot, Facebook, Tweet or Instagram a photo with the hashtag #OneFluShot for a chance to spin the health wheel and win awesome prizes!
Beginning in October, the vaccine will be available:
- at the vaccination clinics on-campus (hosted by Maxim Healthcare).
- Saturdays by appointment on October 18 and 25, and November 1, 8, and 15. Scheduling for Saturday appointments available September 23.
- if you are not sick, during a scheduled appointment.
- by appointment in the Treatment Center, call 919-515-7107 to schedule.
- without an appointment at the Pharmacy between 8:30 – 11:30 and 1:30 – 4:30, Monday through Friday.
Depending on your insurance carrier there may be a charge for the vaccination. If you have the SHIP plan the vaccination is covered. Student Health is out-of-network for all other health insurance plans so contact your insurance carrier regarding your out-of-network benefits. Shots are $25 and the nasal vaccine is $35. Payment is due at the time of service or charged to the student account.